The Suez Canal toll fees are set to increase by 2% and 2.6% with effect from 1st May, 2014 for all vessels. This was announced by Suez Canal Authority (SCA) in a circular no. 02/2014 and 03/2014, issued out on 1st February, 2014.
This move will see the increase in the shipping market rates by the shipping operators in order to cover the costs on the Indian ocean and Far East route. On the other hand the shipping operators will pass on the costs to the shippers in form of Suez Canal Surcharges.
On the Surcharge of Container tiers on Deck of containership
First: Southbound vessels:
Circular No. 2/2007 shall remain in force
Second: Northbound vessels:
The surcharge of container tiers on deck of containership shall be modified to become:
– 4% for vessels carrying one tier.
– 6% for vessels carrying two tiers.
– 8% for vessels carrying three tiers.
– 11% for vessels carrying four tiers.
– 15% for vessels carrying five tiers.
– 21% for vessels carrying six tiers.
– An increase of 2% shall be applied for each tier in excess of six tiers, which means that a surcharge of 23% shall be applied on vessels carrying seven tiers of containers…etc
Circular No. 7/2011 shall be cancelled.
This circular shall take effect as of 1/5/2014
source: Suez Canal Authority – Feb, 2014